Monday, April 8, 2013

The North Korea of Schools

Hello! I've noticed that Chichi and Boris don't introduce themselves at the start of their blog posts, but I'm a bit of a rebel, so I'll do it anyway. ;-)
I'm Adelle, and I've been invited to this blog by the wonderful and purely awesome Chichi because of my big opinions, so I'm determined to make a good first impression.

Pay no mind to the immature and slightly emo account name that I'm too lazy to change. I know. Feel free to face-palm.


Anyway. I'm getting off topic. I'm here today to share my opinions on a school that, I swear, I'm beginning to think actually personifies Kim Jong-Un (North Korean Dictator, if you didn't know). Lets start at the beginning.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a sleepover with a really good friend of mine. For her personal disclosure, lets call her Jane (actually all the names in this blog post will be changed). If you've ever been to a girl's sleepover that doesn't take place in a movie, you'd know that we don't actually have scantily-clad squealing pillow fights. Honestly, sleepovers mostly consist of movies, stuffing your face full of food you'll regret eating, and gossiping.

A lot of gossiping.

During one of these gossiping sessions we stumbled upon the topic of school. As we go to different schools, it was interesting to catch up on the news. So Jane and I were talking about homework and how disgusting it is, and teachers and how they seem to give all of the work on the last few weeks of the term (just to stress you out that little bit more), when she started talking about how strict her schools rules are. It started with an innocent question.

Me: Hey, have you seen Jacob's new hair colour? 
Jane: Oh yeah! It's cool. What is it, orange now?
Me: I think it switched to purple or something... How about your school? Any cool colour schemes?
Jane: ..... Well, about that...

Apparently her school doesn't let people dye their hair random colours. I honestly wasn't surprised. Not many schools do. But then it got a bit weird.

Me: So, what colours do they allow?
Jane: Uh.. None.
Me: What, even natural colours like brown?
Jane: Yeah. Once this girl dyed her hair dark brown -- you could barely tell it was dyed -- and the teachers gave her such a hard time! They gave her detention and forced her to dye it back to black straight away. They still hold it against her.

Okay, I could handle this. I was a little annoyed that they would force her to dye it back, but I could kind of get it. I mean, uniformity, right? No, wait. It gets worse.

A little fact I should have mentioned -- this is a Christian school. So they have bible study and a religious gathering once a week to worship their god or whatever it is they do. I'm perfectly fine with Christian schools. Hey, believe what you want to believe. But should a school be strictly one religion? I'm not too sure.

Me: Wait, so, what do the Atheists, Muslims, Buddhists, Catholics and Hindus do during Bible study?
Jane: Oh, they just come.
Me: You mean they do some other work? Catch up on homework?
Jane: No, they study with us. They study the Bible.
Me: The Christian Bible? A bunch of Atheists and Muslims sit around studying the Christian Bible for an hour?
Jane: Yeah.
Me: Oh.


Is there something wrong with this, or is it just me? I mean, isn't this kind of forcing them into something that might go against their beliefs? Should people be forced to not enter the school that they might really want to go to for fear of differences in religion? NO! Of course not!

But I could still control myself. I could live with it. It is a Christian school, after all.

I have remarkable patience.

But then there was one thing that drove me off the edge. Even Jane was worked up about this one.

Jane: Dude, you wouldn't believe what happened last week at school.
Me: Do I even want to know?
Jane: Probably not..
Me: Just tell me already.

(Okay, so maybe I lied about the remarkable patience. NO JUDGING.)

Jane: Okay, so last week we were called in to the religious gathering, as usual, and they separated the boys and girls. Then they teachers started talking to us. They were all like,
          "We have noticed that you girls have been wearing bright colored bras to school,"
Me: Oh god. Cause' your white uniforms are kinda see-through, right?
Jane: Yeah, but that's not it. Then they said,
          "You must not wear them anymore. You must not tempt the boys."

Let me put extra emphasis on that.

You must not wear them anymore. You must not tempt the boys.
You must not tempt the boys
Tempt the boys

What kind of sexist nonsense are these teachers preaching to their students? Girls should not have to worry that what their wearing might tempt a boy into 'losing his control'. This is the same frame of mind that says that rape victims 'were asking for it' because they were wearing suggestive clothing!

It is never the victim's fault.

Apart from that, these are some serious rights violations here. I mean, are you trying to control what underwear your students wear now? Really? Your students have to wear school socks, school uniform, have normal hair, no bracelets, black shoes, a perfect tie -- now you're controlling their underwear? I'm seeing some North Korea-like traits here.

It's not like the girls go to the beaches and yell at the shirtless boys, telling them to cover up else they tempt us and we loose control of ourselves.

*Overdramatic eye roll*


Just creepy right? If you can't control yourself, it's your fault! Paws off!

Honestly though, I'm pretty sure this isn't what the teachers were getting at. They probably didn't take it this far. If they had told the girls not to wear colorful bras to conserve their modesty or for school uniformity I honestly wouldn't have taken in this hard. It's just- just- tempt the boys?!

I have lost the ability to even.

My friend Emely is looking at me strangely. She thinks I'm going insane, 'writing so much for Humanities class'. Honestly, Emely. Do you really think I'd write this much for Humanities class? Do you not know me at all?


Anyway, I need to get back to class. Unfortunately, I don't have a fancy signature like Chichi. Deal. :P

Adelle

No comments:

Post a Comment